I can’t believe that you start school on Monday, what a great big adventure you have that lies ahead of you. I know it’s ‘only’ play school that you start, but still… it’s massive… new routine, new friends, and let’s face it…. School now becomes a part of your life for many many years ahead. I remember my first day of junior school like it was just a few years ago – being so brave and excited right up until we got to the school and then realized that I did actually need my mommy to come in with me… I can’t believe it’ll be me taking you into your classroom on Monday now, with your cute little owl back pack, a lunch box filled with goodies and my heart filled with excitement, apprehension and dreams for what your future in learning holds.
So here’s the deal, and I know I write this from a very ‘new to school’ perspective.. but my thinking is that if I don’t write it down now, that the potential is there that we all get caught up in the systems, forgetting our ideals we have for you at the beginning of the journey… so…
My dream for you is this….
- That your teachers and school environments always encourage you to be the special little person that you are
- That us as parents and your teachers will continue to seek out your unique magic
- That we remember that maths and science is not the be all and end all of a successful life…
- That you learn and we allow you to be as creative as you want
- To think outside the box
- To know discipline
- To let you learn that there is nothing wrong with colouring in outside the lines, no matter how old you are.
- Try new things, be inquisitive
- I hope we remember that failing is all part of learning and we would rather you try than be too scared not to try.
- I hope that some of your painting lessons lets you enjoy not just painting pretty pictures but perhaps also enjoying getting more paint on you than the picture itself.
- I want you to know that all we ask is that you do your best. I hope we remember this particularly when it’s us wishing that you excel at something rather than yourself.
- I hope you continue to learn to treat everyone with respect, your teachers, your friends, people out there in the world, your friends parents and even those kids at school who bully.
- I hope you never ever ever ever are the bully, and if you ever are I hope that we as your parents have the courage to see what is happening and to make the adjustments in our lives to ensure this stops.
- I hope you don’t feel the need to be one of the cool kids – my wish is that you will be friends with kids across the playground, the quiet ones, the clever ones, the cool ones and the ones that just need someone to be their friend.
- I hope you learn in your own time
- I hope that as you start to learn your ABC’s that your love for reading just grows and grows
- I hope your imagination grows and grows
- I hope you play sport, lots of it, and lots of team games. I never did and I think it’s a great life skill that you learn that becomes a fundamental part of who you are and what you do.
- I hope you learn that coming top of your class isn’t going to guarantee you success in life, and I hope your Dad and I teach you well about balance.
So my little monkey, learn lots, play lots, make heaps of friends and look after those friends. Remember to work hard, but also to play hard throughout your life. We love you and can’t wait for this next big adventure…
Ps – please don’t cry on Monday… Mommy is already getting a little emotional x