I’ve been scarce on the blogging front, I promise I’m not gone, just battling to get my posts up! Anyway, I got heaps of advice from my last post when we were about to set off on our big camping adventure and so wanted to share a few moments from our weekend!
Here are some of the highlights
1) Arrived in the dark after missing the turn, directions weren’t great and we actually first arrived at a camp site (with the name that was on the booking) with no on at the site… we did for a few minutes think our mates were playing a practical joke on us, but no… we were just at the wrong place
2) When we did get there, it had just started to drizzle. I left ‘putting up the tent’ to Gav and the rest of the guys while I bathed the monkey. (Having even taken a bath plug with me in case the facilities didn’t have.. I’m happy to report that they did have one, but was also quite impressed that I had brought my own (Thanks to Cat from Juggling Act of Life blog post on camping with kids). Anyway, I’m getting distracted. The actual point here is that the guys realized that we hadn’t brought the tent poles with the tent (can you tell it’s been years since we’ve used the tent, and yes we should have checked. Lesson learned.
3) Checked into luxury chalet 15 minutes away from our camping friends and spent half our salary on the night (without really speaking to each other) …not ideal on all levels
4) Ended up going back to the camping ground the next morning and joining up with all the mates who had driven down from Joburg and up from Durban and took some mates up on their offer to take one of their rooms in their tents (love have mates from Joburg
5) Spent lovely morning at rock pools, splashing in waterfalls, having a picnic with the little girls, and a great walk there and back.
6) Got back to the campsite just in the nic of time before one almighty thunder, rain and hail storm tore the campsite apart (together with the gazebo we were using as our communal area). Half the party were still up the mountain on walks, some with little kids. I was very happy that we were safely in our car while the storm passed (and that our camping friends were able to take control of the camp site after the storm with uber MacGuyver moves and problem solving.
7) All in all, it was a great weekend, we learnt that we still need to get a lot more organized, but it was amazing to have the little ones tear around the camp site, to spend most of the weekend outdoors, for sweet coffee out of a tin cup at the break of dawn and if I’m honest, to get back and fall asleep in our bed on the Sunday night!
Here’s two pics, taken by the uber talented photographer mamma to my monkey’s best mate, sharing a special moment in the campsite…
(swapping juice bottles)
(yum, thanks mom’s, we quite like this camping thing)